Okay, I know I said that I was going to do these in order. However, this week's block, published today, was just so lovely I had to skip to the end for a bit. It's here, and is called the Confederate Rose.
Now, the original block is pretty complicated, and since we're doing these at an eight inch size block, Brackman gives a simplified version of it that's basically just the center part. But I really liked the complicated version, which she also posted.
So I did the complicated one, which, because it was complicated, is designed in a grid of five by five, not something that works very well with an eight inch block. So I drew it out as a ten inch block, and photocopied it down to 80%, i.e. an eight inch block. I just cut the pieces out of the photocopy then and didn't bother with any math because I just wasn't going to even deal.
So here's my complicated version, which is a little wonky and not-quite-straight, but good enough:
My only complaint is that I'm not sure I like the pinkish triangles in the corners of the center square. They don't really show up enough against the fabrics around it, being too close in color. I'm not sure what I'd put there, nor am I sure that I want to rip the seams out and put new triangles in. We'll see, I guess. Overall though I'm pretty happy with it.