Saturday, August 27, 2011

Civil War Quilt Block Four—Texas Tears

And here's my version of the fourth block from Barbara Brackman's Civil War quilt-a-long, Texas Tears. I guess TTTT is for Texas. They think big down there, so I hear.



This block was complicated enough that I spent most of my brainpower trying to make sure it went together correctly. It mostly did, though I wish I'd caught the two swapped dark triangles; it would have been nice if the wiggly lines of the black were all horizontal. Oh well. Also I'm not sure about the colors. I mean I like the block itself, but I'm not sure it's going to match the indigo and black walnut color scheme I've sort of fallen into, and which I really really love.

If I were to do it again I think I'd cut some of the little triangles differently so that the right angle sides to them were on the square, not the bias, as it's just so easy to get everything wonky with that many biases in the thing. Still, though, I like it, especially the way I cut the stripes in the center square. I might try it again with the stripes the other way to form concentric squares.

Doing these blocks, while keeping the information Brackman provides in mind, has reminded me just how much I don't know about some things. Like Texas. Rattlesnakes, Houston, Mike Nesmith, Twisty Faster: that's about all I know of the place. And I suppose, to be honest, I hadn't missed it, up here in Massachusetts, where, though we're not dinky little Rhode Island, ho golly no, still, things are properly small and cozy here.

Although I guess that's not true. I have heard of Juneteenth, also called Emancipation Day. It commemorates the day, June 19th, 1865, when Texas finally got wind of the Emancipation Proclamation, given by Lincoln on September 22nd, 1862, and which officially went into effect on January 1st, 1863. Yeaaaah. Bit of a gap there, I notice. But I'm sure it's just that those nice nice Texas slaveowners simply honestly forgot to tell anyone, what with the one thing or the other. Slipped their minds, sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment